Brain Injury Lawyer Anaheim, CA
If you sustained a brain injury due to someone else’s negligence, you may want to speak with a brain injury lawyer Anaheim, CA residents rely on. You may be entitled to compensation for your losses. A lawyer can help you hold the liable parties accountable.
Common Brain Injury Symptoms
Brain injuries most frequently result from blows to the head or jolts. These injuries range from mild to severe and usually require some type of medical attention. Brain injuries can result in many different symptoms, including:
- Loss of consciousness
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Blurry vision
Keep in mind that not all accident victims experience these symptoms initially. They may feel fine in the beginning but are still dealing with a brain injury. That’s why it’s important to seek immediate medical care no matter what.
Long-Term Complications of Brain Injuries
While some people can fully recover from brain injuries, others may suffer long-term complications, such as:
- Physical effects. People who sustain brain injuries may experience physical effects that negatively affect their quality of life. They may have seizures, chronic pain, sleeping disorders, and trouble swallowing.
- Speech effects. Brain injury victims may also have trouble speaking clearly. They may have slurred speech or speak very slowly, which can make communication more difficult.
- Cognitive effects. A brain injury can also affect cognitive function. As an Anaheim brain injury lawyer can confirm, cognitive effects may include memory loss, impulsiveness and difficulty concentrating.
- Behavioral effects. Someone who sustains a brain injury may also experience changes in their behavior. They may become more irritable and depressed. One minute, they may feel happy and the next moment, they may begin crying.
- Loss of employability. Many people who suffer brain injuries have to miss some time off work to recover. However, some people suffer such severe brain injuries that they may never return to work. Whether due to loss of mobility or declining cognitive function, not being able to return to work can be devastating.
Damages in a Brain Injury Claim
A brain injury can affect your life in many ways, and you deserve to be compensated for that. While nothing can make up for you sustaining a brain injury, financial compensation may ease some of the burdens. Here are some common damages in a brain injury claim.
- Medical bills. This includes all the doctor’s appointments, emergency care, surgery, therapy, and other medical costs associated with treating your brain injury.
- Lost wages. If you have had to take some time away from work to heal from your brain injury, you may be entitled to lost wages.
- Pain suffering. These damages include both the physical and mental stress you endured from your brain injury. For instance, if you have trouble sleeping or walking due to your brain injury, you may be eligible to receive these damages.
Schedule a consultation with an Anaheim brain injury lawyer from JSM Injury Firm APC to discuss your case in detail.
Should You Accept the First Settlement?
You or your loved one may wonder if having an Anaheim, CA lawyer on your side is necessary if you’re already offered a settlement. While some insurance companies may try avoiding offering you a settlement, others can offer you one relatively fast after you file your claim. However, while being offered a quick settlement sounds good, this isn’t always the case. The fact is that many insurance companies understand that victims may not have the best grasp of the law. For example, some victims may know they’re entitled to medical expenses but maybe haven’t considered factors like pain and suffering. When being offered a settlement, it’s better to talk to your attorney before accepting it.
Besides Low Offers, What Other Methods Do Insurance Companies Use?
Ideally, getting compensation through your or the other party’s insurance company would be relatively simple. However, besides low offers, insurance companies may use other methods for refusing compensation:
- Delaying the process
- Refusing to take calls or putting you on hold for a long time
- Outright refusing to negotiate
- Bringing into question factors surrounding the incident (like suggesting you were partially at fault or exaggerated details)
- Claiming there isn’t sufficient evidence
- Threatening to withdraw a settlement on the table
Especially if your case has strong proof to back it, most of these techniques can be flimsy by themselves, but only if you have an Anaheim brain injury attorney. An insurance company banks on the fact you don’t have the time or money to “fight” for a better settlement and will just pressure you to take what’s offered. An attorney, however, can apply legal pressure.
Do Brain Injury Cases Go to Court?
You should always hire an attorney who isn’t afraid to go to court if necessary. However, contrary to what television may depict sometimes, most personal injury cases—including brain injuries—don’t end up in the courtroom. There are two main reasons why they don’t:
- It takes more time and money for both parties
- Court cases can be unpredictable
Occasionally, a brain injury case will end up before a jury or judge, but usually, both parties agree to a settlement before this happens.
How Long Does It Take to Resolve a Case?
There’s no set timeframe for how long a brain injury case takes to be resolved. Unfortunately, brain injuries tend to be far more severe than other cases, and this severity tends to make them longer than other injuries. Of course, some brain injuries are minor concussions that may only take months to resolve. Regardless, you can expect a typical brain injury case to take a year or more to resolve, with many even taking as much as three years.
But What About the Cost?
Some people decide not to hire a lawyer simply because they believe it costs too much. However, many personal injury attorneys work under a contingency fee. This means that instead of paying an attorney hourly or a retainer fee, they receive a percentage of the final settlement or court award only if they win the case. While this percentage can sometimes be 30% or more, you won’t need to worry about immediate legal fees when working with an Anaheim brain injury lawyer from a group like JSM Injury Firm APC.
10 Things To Keep In Mind When Dealing With a Brain Injury
An Anaheim, CA brain injury lawyer will tell you that sustaining a brain injury can be a life-altering experience that affects not only the injured person but also their loved ones. Navigating the legal process and fighting for compensation can be complex, which is why it’s important to choose the right brain injury lawyer. With so many factors to consider, it can be overwhelming to know where to start. To help make the process easier, here are 10 things to keep in mind when dealing with a brain injury, from understanding the statute of limitations to working with medical experts and negotiating with insurance companies. By keeping these key points in mind, you can ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve and get the support you need to move forward.
- Brain injury cases are complex: Brain injury cases require specialized knowledge of medical and legal issues, making it important to choose a lawyer with experience handling these types of cases.
- The statute of limitations: In California, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is 2 years, so it’s crucial to act promptly and find a lawyer who can help you navigate the legal process.
- Proving liability: To win a brain injury case, you need to prove that the injury was caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. A qualified Anaheim brain injury lawyer can help gather evidence and build a strong case on your behalf.
- Understanding the impact of a brain injury: Brain injuries can have a devastating impact on a person’s life, affecting their ability to work, earn a living, and enjoy their daily activities. A good lawyer will understand the full impact of the injury and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: Insurance companies often try to settle brain injury claims for as little as possible, so it’s important to have a lawyer who can negotiate on your behalf and ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Preparation for trial: If your case goes to trial, an experienced attorney will be prepared to present a compelling argument in court and fight for your rights.
- No win, no fee: Many lawyers offer a contingency fee arrangement, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. This can be a good option if you don’t have the funds to pay upfront for legal fees.
- Medical Expert Testimony: Brain injury cases often require medical expert testimony to establish the extent of the injury, its impact on the victim’s life, and the projected long-term effects. A qualified Anaheim attorney will work with medical experts to provide solid evidence to support your case.
- Calculating damages: Brain injuries can result in significant economic and non-economic damages, including lost wages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering. A skilled lawyer will work to calculate the full extent of your damages and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Protecting your rights: Brain injury victims are entitled to certain legal rights, including the right to compensation for their injuries and the right to receive the best possible medical care. A qualified lawyer will make sure that your rights are protected throughout the legal process.
In conclusion, finding the right attorney is crucial if you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury. A skilled lawyer will provide the support and expertise needed to help you navigate the legal process, protect your rights, and achieve the compensation you deserve. It’s vital to find a qualified and experienced attorney who can help you navigate the complex legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve. Reach out to our Anaheim brain injury lawyer at JSM Injury Firm APC today.
- Serious Injuries
- Premises Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Car Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- Rideshare Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Bicycle Accident
Jamal carried Jamal carried my case for almost two years of hard work and dedication. Not only was he there as my attorney, but he took the time to get to know me as a person which I truly appreciated. He was kind, responsive and extremely knowledgeable. For a case that my first attorney offered 30,000 and told me to take it because that’s what I was worth, to Jamal and his team getting a total of 250,000, I am so thankful for them. This was more than just a car accident, but a life changing issue that Jamal properly fought for. I will be forever thankful.
We put our clients first, fighting for their rights in court. If you are looking for an accident lawyer or personal injury attorney, contact us today. We offer free consultations and second opinions to anyone who needs legal advice.